Monday, March 26, 2012

It Must Be Destined.....

....to be a happy day. At least that is the only conclusion I can come to when the birds start chirping merrily at 1:04 am. Yes, that early.......yes, it was the incessant chirping......and yes, for those of you who were wondering, I was in bed much earlier than that (feeling appropriately tired  as I climbed into bed at 9:21 pm). By the way, it was still chirping when the alarm went off at 4:30 am and hasn't yet stopped (its just after 5:45 am as I write this).

So this week is going to be a definite shake-up from the normal week. My husband is leaving me for most of the week to go tromp in the woods and do soldier stuff. Then in a few weeks, he goes for twice that amount of time. Fun fun. Yes, I know, I am an Army wife. Lonely nights are what I signed up for. Yep, I did. No, I wouldn't change my decision. Doesn't mean that a button suddenly got pushed on my wedding day that made me ready or excited for it. (Ever heard of new parents who suddenly relished no sleep for weeks? Didn't think so. Same concept applies.)

Four full days without my man.....what's a girl to do.....among other things....cook. I decided that four days will be the perfect time to work on all those food things that I still cringe at the thought of making because I am afraid I will mess up. Like mashed potatoes. My dad can make wicked smooth mashed potatoes that taste fantastic and its all by hand. Despite my lesson while I was last home for dental work, I am still not confident I can produce the wicked awesomeness. I am also going to go through my recipes and find things my husband doesn't like to eat and cook those things too. A couple of chick flicks may also be in order.

Okay, I can't end the post without saying that it's true about men in uniform...they make your heart melt. (While only one has ever caught my attention, I am still going to say "they" because from what I hear from the other wives, the melting seems to be a common occurrance.) It's like being married to the hero in the movie. If you have not had the pleasure of seeing an already strong man in body armor just trust me.....it's the modern equivalent to knights in shining armor or the heroes of the west. Add that to strong character that takes responsibility and never quits, a kind and gentle heart that is a "safe place" on a bad day, and the fact that he is just handsome.....there is a good deal of melting that goes on in this house. (For those of you wondering, yesterday was just one of those days where I realized how blessed I am and I just couldn't keep it to myself any longer).

1 comment: